Gateway Longview’s Therapeutic Preschool provides special education for children ages 2 years 10 months up to 5 years old with social, emotional, and behavioral issues. The goal is for each child we serve to learn the skills necessary to transition to a less-restrictive classroom.
- The Therapeutic Preschool works with family and community members in planning for the young student’s educational needs.
- Each student’s individual strengths and needs are identified by the team (school, family and community) and incorporated into a specific, individualized, treatment plan. The team evaluates the plan at scheduled times to be sure it is working.
- Occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy, group counseling, parent training and case management services are provided as needed.
- The professional staff is fully licensed, accredited, and certified. A majority of our staff have been in place for 10+ years!
Additional services include …
- Health and Medical Care Coordination by a Gateway Longview nurse is available.
- Parent influence on the program is sought through special activity days, conferences, and home visits.
- Parent counseling, training, and support are provided through individual meetings with a school counselor or social worker, as well as through parent group meetings.
- Transportation may be available.
- Discharge Planning includes school district visits, advising parents of community resources, and assisting parents in the transfer of effective individual treatment plans to the child’s new educational setting.
We utilize the following curriculum approaches:
-Evidence-based social skills curriculum: Incredible Years Dina Dinosaur Curriculum Promotes children’s social skills, self-regulation, and classroom behavior.
-Developmental Therapy Curriculum Developmental Therapy-Teaching (DTT) is a well-researched guidance program for teachers, mental health professionals, and parents concerned about the education and development of children and youth from early childhood through the teen years.
-Incredible Years Classroom Behavior Management Curriculum Promotes teachers proactive classroom management skills to enhance learning.
-Incredible Years Preschool Parenting Program Designed to strengthen parenting skills and prevent & treat behavior problems in young children.
Teacher, Patti Meyer-Lee, MS. Ed., was invited to write for The Incredible Years Blog. Check out her article here.
We believe every child deserves to be surrounded by caring people, have a safe place to learn, and have access to a quality education!
For more information on Gateway Longview’s Therapeutic Preschool program, call 716.783.3100.